Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My latest completed sewing projects

O.K., I've finally gotten these pics uploaded.
I've been sewing a lot lately. I've already dulled my sewing machine needle (I only had one from when I purchased my sewing machine, the other needles I have are for the Singer machines). So I bought some of those on Ebay today, hopefully they will come quickly so that I can get back to sewing.
I have quite a few projects that I'm working on, so I'll try to keep up with getting them posted.
I love this fabric. It's very vintage. It's cotton. I really like to use natural materials when possible.
This dress was my first project on my new machine. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.
I've gotten in the habit of hand-basting the seams before machine sewing, and it makes a huge difference in the precision of the fit. I did a hat last night without basting the seams first, and it was a decided reminder as to why I baste first, sew second.
This is the first time that I've sewn a newsboy cap. This pattern would be perfect to use for a beret as well as newsies. I made this using a pattern from Eugenia Kim's "Saturday Night Hat".
I made this hat from an upcycled wool Liz Claiborne skirt. I really like the fabric. It's lined with black satiny fabric. The pattern called for cardboard to stiffen the bill. However I opted to go for something a little more washable: plastic canvas. It works quite well for this application.
The little wool button was from a trade with the lovely Julie Collings.
This is my second shirtdress that I've made. This fabric reminded me of the special dishes that my Grandma used to use for Thanksgiving dinner. It's probably the color scheme.
I'm really pleased with the way this turned out too. I like the white collar and cuffs.

Both of my dresses have princess seams, and the hemlines fall a little below the knee.

1 comment:

  1. Oohh,I love your newest dress, Sasha. :-) The colors are So pretty! And the cap looks great, too. :-)